Written on the stone in Latin-ALIORTVS ELMETIACO HICIACET
This stone was found in 1865 in a field opposite the church called Gardd Sant (Erw Sant today). It can be seen on the wall of the north transept within the church. It dates to the 5th or 6th century.
The meaning of the Latin words are-“here lies Aliortus a man of Elmet” During this period Elmet was a British kingdom in the west of Yorkshire(around where the city of Leeds lies today). This man had indeed made a journey of great distance, proving that Christianity was in this area then.