The church consits of a nave, sanctuary and a north and south transept. The nave dates from the 12th or early 13th century and the transepts from the 16th or 17th century. The chancel was enlarged in 1892 when the whole church was refurbished. One of the most notable features of the chancel is the old east window. also of interest is the repaired window in the north transept.
In the wall of the nave there is a window that dates from the 16th century allthough it has been greatly repaired. In the same wall there is a door that dates to the 12th or 13th century that was closed in 1930. In the west wall is a door that is likely to date from the 14thcentury. The bell tower is also of interest, it probably dates to 1749 which is inscribed on the bell along with the names of Griffith Jones and Robert Pritchard, Wardens. The ceiling is modern allthough 3 wooden trusses from he Middle Ages have beeen reused.
In 1865 in a field called Saint’s Garden( Gardd Sant) – Erw Sant today – a stone was found. It dates to the 5th or 6th century and in Roman lettering it reads-“here lies Aliortus a man of Elmett”.
This stone was placed on the wall of the north transept. In this same transept there is a slate memorial tablet to Rev. John Evans, Bryn Bychan who became Bishop of Bangor in 1702 and died in 1724. Four chairs were also given in memory of him and 2 stand in the sanctuary and 2 in the chois stalls. They are decorated with the Bishop’s Mitre.
On the wall there is a slate memorial tablet to Catherine, the eldest daughter of Richard Glyn , Elernion who died in 1702. The box pews date to the late 18th or early 19th century. The church is on the Pilgrim road to Bardsey, pilgrims called here after visiting St beuno’s Church, Clynnog. Llanaelhaearn is part of the Diocese of Bangor.
To arrange a visit or to have the church opened contact the keyholder Lynda Cox 07787953887